Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Losing the baby weight

Before I became pregnant, I had lost 25-30 lbs. I was eating healthy and running between 18-22 miles a week. I had finally found a exercising regime that worked for me. 

When I first found out I was pregnant, I of course bought the book "What to expect while expecting" and tried to follow the nutrition guidelines to the t. I ate pretty healthy for about the first trimester and between that and 3 full months of morning sickness, I barely gained any weight. I was so tired of always being sick during the first trimester that I couldn't run anymore. Literally almost every smell made me nauseous so I spent as little time as I could outdoors. Because of this, I gained for the worse during my second trimester.  Needless to say, my body began to turn on me. I had every intention of staying healthy and fit during my pregnancy. Of course it's easier said than done. Losing muscle because of my lack of exercise and gaining weight because of pregnancy has caused me to gain about 40 lbs all together. I planned on only gaining about a healthy 25-30 lbs but unfortunately that didn't happen. 

These last few weeks of pregnancy all I can think about is running and getting back into shape. About 1 1/2 months ago I fell on uneven pavement outside and twisted my ankle. I hadn't had any swelling on my feet/ankles until then and since, I can barely fit into flip flops. After waking up in the morning and using the restroom (because of course that's the first thing all pregnant women do in the morning) my foot is already completely swollen. Having a limp in my walk has caused extra pressure on my other foot which then causes swelling on both feet. I want to walk, I want to get into a better fitness routine and at this point, I want to speed up this delivery process but my body is turning on me! I feel like I have so much water retention and just feel like a big blob being so immobile.


Because I can barely walk, I have a lot of time to browse the web and find inspiration postpartum fitness blogs. Of course, my son is my first priority and my time will be devoted to caring for him but I think caring for my health is a part in caring for him. 

Here are some blogs that I have found to have useful and practical tips on getting back into shape postpartum. 


The Hungry Runner Girl

Food Fitness & Family

Run Pretty

Knocked-Up Fitness
signature photo signature_zpsjk7w6t2h.png

No comments:

Post a Comment